Austin College Summer Music Camp 2023 was a huge success! What began in 2022 as a small program has grown tremendously, and we look forward to the future of this program.
Here’s a brief overview of ACSMC 2023:
- 92 students joined us from the following cities: Sherman, Denison, McKinney, Pottsboro, Howe, Van Alstyne, Trenton, Colbert, Anna, Bonham, Savoy, Bells, Gordonville, Melissa, Whitesboro, Leonard, Pilot Point
- ACSMC 2023 was open to middle and high school strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion, and voice (2022: strings, brass, woodwinds only)
- For comparison, 40 students attended in our first year, 2022. 18 of those students returned as campers in 2023, and two former campers returned as members of the staff.
- 14 faculty joined us from Austin College, Sherman Symphony Orchestra, and the following school districts: Sherman, Denison, Denton, McKinney, Plano, Prosper
- All 2022 faculty returned in 2023, and we added faculty from McKinney, Sherman, and Austin College to create opportunities for percussion and voice students.
- Our staff of 8 people consisted of current AC students and former ACSMC campers
- Each student participated in a chamber group (~4-6 musicians) as well as a larger ensemble.
- All students took two electives each day, choosing from the following: Music Theory, Music History, Conducting, Jazz Improvisation
- Camp faculty and guest artists provided daily performances and topical presentations for the students
- The camp recital on June 16 filled Wynne Chapel - standing room only! 20 student chamber groups and 7 large ensembles shared their work. All students demonstrated their ability to learn and perform brand-new music in five days.
Stay tuned for information about ACSMC 2024!